Scribbles and thoughts ...

These are ramblings from J L Wilson, published author of romantic suspense, mystery, and paranormal -time travel fiction....

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Coping with change ... the old-fashioned way




I'm doing the 'whistle while you walk by the graveyard' equivalent in the way I'm reacting to our wintry weather.

We've gotten more snow in the last 2 weeks than we got in Nov, Dec., and January combined. I mean, we've had a wimpy winter up to now, so I shouldn't be surprised, but still ...

The way I'm coping with it? I planted seeds. Yep, I've got pots lining the window sills and under grow lights in the basement. I lost my prime growing spot downstairs because we're in construction mode and that spot is now full of Stuff, so my seedlings are now on the counter near the laundry, which means whenever I want to do laundry, I have to put the seeds into the nearby (unused mostly) sink.

And LO -- THERE WERE SPROUTS. Woot! Yes, those little gourdlings pushing toward the sky are a sign that there is life after March. I have visions of those gourds twining around my (now snow-covered) fence and producing bright blossoms (which the deer will probably nibble but maybe not, who knows?)

Yep ... change. When in doubt, try to ignore what you don't like, cope with what you have to deal with, and effect change where you can. Or to re-phrase that old adage:

"Give me the serenity to deal with that I can't change, the courage to change what I can, and the strength to wield heavy artillery when needed."

Or something like that ...

No comments: