Scribbles and thoughts ...

These are ramblings from J L Wilson, published author of romantic suspense, mystery, and paranormal -time travel fiction....

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Taming the paper monster ...


Well, I'm a day late but I was out of town, so ... I know, I know -- big deal, you were out of town. Can't you log in even though you're traveling?

Yes and no.

I was visiting someone who only has dial-up. I can hear the horrified gasps from the audience. Dial-up? Yep, it still exists in the world. And to be honest, while I could blog on dial-up, it is so agonizingly slow I just can't do it. So I composed this message while offline and uploaded it when I got back into town.

This made me realize how much technology has become a part of our lives. Heck, my very publishing future depends on technology. My books will be coming out a e-books -- something unhead of just 10 years ago. And now I carry 10-15 books around with me on my Palm Pilot and that's not counting the books on my other 3 ebook readers -- yep, 3 of them. I like backups. And I like to try gadgets, I admit.

I just took over as editor for my local chapter's newsletter (and web site). I produce the PDF file which is sent to members, and some members still like to have a paper copy mailed to them. The previous editor mentioned that she always keeps a paper copy in a file 'in case something happens to the electronic version'. Since I upload a copy to the group, have a copy on backup, and also have a couple of copies on my computer, I pointed out that if 'something happens to the electronic version' we have more problems than losing a newsletter -- it probably means that something catastrophic has occurred, like an electro-magnetic pulse or an equally devasting event. In which case, my chapter's newsletter is the least of my worries.

She agreed, but still thought it was a good idea to keep the paper copy.

Don't tell her, but I'm not doing it. If I need a copy, I'll print it. My goal for 2007 is to eliminate as much paper as possible in my life.

We'll see how I do ...

J

No comments: