Scribbles and thoughts ...

These are ramblings from J L Wilson, published author of romantic suspense, mystery, and paranormal -time travel fiction....

Saturday, January 06, 2007

A side benefit of success



An unexpected benefit of my modest success and its announcement has been that I've heard from friends I haven't heard from in a long, long time. You know who you are, out there. I hope my announcement gets forwarded on to many, many others because this has been a blast, chatting and getting caught up with people that I haven't chatted with in years. I'm surprised those email addresses still worked!

Also gratifying has been the universal happiness at my success. Everyone I've told has been genuinely interested, and happy, for my success. I told my friends at work, and they were amazed and excited. When I did my usual, "It will come out in e-book format first then ..." I didn't have to explain to them what an e-book was -- A FIRST!!! These are all high tech folks, so they jumped on it right away. {whew}.

Plus I've been making new friends on the various groups I've joined as a consequence of selling my books. The publishers all have yahoogroups that authors are expected to join, and I've met a few folks there. Plus I've had individual email exchanges with other new authors, I've joined PAN (Published Author Network, an RWA category, as it were) and have met folks there, and so on, and so on. It's like an exponential growth thingie. Amazing.

Perhaps we should all learn from this -- no, don't go out and write some books and gather 200 rejection letters until you sell them. But try to contact folks you haven't contacted in a long, long time. It's a hoot.

J

No comments: