Scribbles and thoughts ...

These are ramblings from J L Wilson, published author of romantic suspense, mystery, and paranormal -time travel fiction....

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Should I be offended?



As many of you know, the company where I work (which will be called "The Good Place") has been acquired by another company (which will be called "The Big Guys"). We the peons were supposed to get offer letters from the Big Guys in email last Friday. If you got a letter, you still had a job. No letter, no job.

You guessed it: email glitch. Nobody got letters on Friday before 5:00 p.m. I'd left earlier, figuring philosophically, 'hey, the letter will come or not, I'll read email on Saturday'. Yep, on Saturday, there it was, sent at 9:00 pm the night before.

I skimmed it. Yada yada, sign this (confidentiality), sign that (other legal forms). Then I really looked at the letter.

I've been a tech writer for 20+ years. I've always been a salaried employee.

Not with the Big Guys. Now I'm hourly wage.

I didn't panic. I whipped out my calculator and the wage they're giving me is the same as my previous salary. But ...

When I told some tech writer friends this, they were outraged. There's a perception that hourly wage is not 'as good' as salaried.

I'm not sure if I should be offended by the Big Guys or not. Do they perceive us as less professional (and I say 'us' because all writers got this). Other professionals around me (developers, testers, etc.) are salaried, but not us.

Of course, this means I'll get overtime pay. Maybe I can use this to my advantage? We'll see. But I'm not sure if I should be offended or not. For now -- no. As long as they still give me that paycheck, I'm not going to worry. But it's a sign of things to come, I'm sure.

J




No comments: