Scribbles and thoughts ...

These are ramblings from J L Wilson, published author of romantic suspense, mystery, and paranormal -time travel fiction....

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Update on my 'talk'


The talk with the Rotary Club went well. I had no idea what to expect, having had little to do with public service groups in my life. I imagine I looked a bit surprised when they opened the meeting with the Pledge of Allegiance. Luckily, I remembered the words.

This is obviously a group of people who know each other well and have a good rapport with each other. I could tell that by the various 'in' jokes and other jibs they gave each other. It actually reminded me a lot of the group of friends my parents used to have -- all people from the community who have known each other for a long time and get along well.

We had a bite of lunch then I was asked to 'present', which I did by just talking about my foray into publishing and the entire process. Everyone asked questions and before you know it, 25 minutes had passed. I handed out my little 'press booklet' that I'd prepared: summary of statistics, a sample of my book (first chapter), my promo recipe cards, and some other effluvia. All in all I think it went well. I had one qualm and that was when the Chief of Police was watching me as I described how I come up with my murder plots, but other than that, I felt they were all curious and interested in what I had to say. I even handed around my ebook readers and people were very curious about them.

So, my first 'public speaking' gig went well. Now back to the mundane business of writing ...

No comments: