Scribbles and thoughts ...

These are ramblings from J L Wilson, published author of romantic suspense, mystery, and paranormal -time travel fiction....

Saturday, October 27, 2007

Career thoughts


I am struggling with a somewhat hypothetical question:

Is it better to do well in e-publishing or should I try again to get the attention of a Big New York House? I think the question I'm asking is:

  • be large-ish fish in a little pond?
  • be tiny fish in a big pond?

In order to succeed in NYC, I'd need an agent. Most of the lines (publishers) I'd target require an agent. So I'd need to do an agent search in addition to doing a publisher search (I know -- the agent should do the search but I'd want to do one, too, to make sure the agent is doing what is needed. Yes. I do have trust issues around my career).

I know there's no pressing need to make a big decision about this, but I'm wondering if I'm doing the right thing by staying where I am. I feel like I need a plan of action, as it were.

So here's what I'm going to do: over Thanksgiving (the next time I have some free time), I'm going to make a list of publishers and agents I want to target next year. And I'm going to come up with a plan for submitting to them. I think my current books are in good hands (and are in the right marketplace: ebooks). But I think I may have a shot at another market, too. So I need to consider that.

Okay. I feel better now. I have a plan to make a plan.

Now back to writing.


No comments: