Scribbles and thoughts ...

These are ramblings from J L Wilson, published author of romantic suspense, mystery, and paranormal -time travel fiction....

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Why do I do this kind of stuff???



Why do I set myself up for this stress?

I signed up for 2 pitch sessions at the RWA National Conference.

I promised myself I wouldn't do it this year. Why do I need to? I've got 5 books coming out, I've got 2 editors who love my work, I've got assurances that more will be bought.

So why did I sign up with another publisher? Well, I know why -- I think it doesn't hurt to have many irons in the fire, and this is a good publisher, one that other writers just LOVE. It's not a big NY house, but the more I write, the more I feel I'm probably happy with that.

And the agent is a solid agency, and maybe they'll want to represent me and push me into that NY spotlight (where I'm not sure I want to be.)

But prepping for it and preparing my notes and practicing ... oi, why do I do it? I was staring at the online signup form and thought, "I could skip this. I don't have to ..." And almost without trying, my fingers moused that little cursor to checkbox and BAM before I knew it, I was signed up.

Oh well. I can add the pitch to my "June things to do". And really, practice meeting total strangers doesn't hurt, right?

I must be a sucker for punishment ....


No comments: