Scribbles and thoughts ...

These are ramblings from J L Wilson, published author of romantic suspense, mystery, and paranormal -time travel fiction....

Friday, May 04, 2007

Making contact ....



I saw a writing friend the other day who'd moved away but was back for a brief visit. She's signed a couple of writing contracts with my publisher (Cerridwen) and is just getting started on the whirlwind.

We had a good old chat, talking about the changes we've experienced since we talked last. She used to be gung-ho to get published by a New York house and be a 'real' writer. But now that's she gotten her feet wet with a small press, she's starting to rethink that decision.

I think this is interesting because she's feeling the same sort of -- "hmm, I've accomplished this. Is it enough?" -- feeling that I've had. I think we focus so hard on that big milestone of getting published that when we accomplish it (or almost accomplish it, in my case, since I have a month or two to go) we're left with a sense of "What's next"?

I have to admit, it was a relief to hear it from someone else. And it was lots of fun to talk Publishing with someone who's with the same house, who has similar questions, and who is on the same journey I am.

That's a side benefit of all of this ... the people you meet along the way.


No comments: