Scribbles and thoughts ...

These are ramblings from J L Wilson, published author of romantic suspense, mystery, and paranormal -time travel fiction....

Friday, March 16, 2007

On the road again ...


I'll be out of town tomorrow, so figured I'd post today. Just a road trip, a nice relaxing trip out of town. After the hectic month I've had, I'm looking forward to four hours of driving on good roads and a lot of songs on my CD player.


I enjoy traveling for the most part. I used to hate flying. I don't mind the flying, but I hate the "Rush to the airport", "wait for the flight", "cram into the plane" and the whole out of control feeling.


I've since given up all that. Now I get to the airport plenty early and have my wheelie bag (see picture: mine is bright red, though). I wander around, drink a cup of coffee, watch people, pull out my ebook reader and read a bit, wander to the gate, take my Dramamine (which ensures I will doze on the plane) then get on the flight, usually ahead of others.


Why ahead of others? Because I've splurged and paid for an exit row seat. It's worth the $15 to me to have plenty of room to spread out and to get on the plane early, before the crush. Then I put in my earplugs, turn on my ebook reader, and settle down.
It's not really relaxing, but I've found that if I change my attitude about it all, it's bearable. I used to want to "get there and get on with my trip". Now I just take it one step at a time.


Sort of like getting published -- just take it one step at a time. I've been angsting (nice verb, eh?) over whether I've made the right choices on publishers. Should I have signed with A when B might have been better? Let's face it, they all offer about the same in terms of $$$, but will my books do better with publisher C or is publisher A better?


But heck, the books haven't even released yet. Let's not sweat it.
One step at a time.

No comments: