Scribbles and thoughts ...

These are ramblings from J L Wilson, published author of romantic suspense, mystery, and paranormal -time travel fiction....

Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Unsettling

Last year a friend of mine started working with me in my Day Job. I thought she was okay with the job -- maybe not HAPPY, but okay with it.

Nope. She just quit.

There was a bit of a tempest in a teapot -- you know how it goes, something happens, it gets blown out of proportion, people over-react and if everybody would just pause & think, things would get back to normal.

But she decided to quit, put all her furniture in storage, and take off on an extended drive to ... she's not sure where. She'll take off next week or the week after at the latest. I would normally applaud such a free spirit, but I'm not sure she's really thinking this through to its logical conclusion. She & I have talked about it and she's sure it's the right thing to do.

While a part of me thinks this sounds like a blast, another part -- the majority of me, really -- thinks it's just not a good idea. In my youth, this would be doable, but I'm not young & carefree anymore. I have obligations and responsibilities, things (people, cats) I can't walk away from. It amazes me that she can do it, and so easily (relatively speaking, of course).

I will be interested to see what shakes out in the coming months. I can only wish her well and tell her to gather stories to share with me -- I may need a plot or two in the future!

No comments: