Scribbles and thoughts ...

These are ramblings from J L Wilson, published author of romantic suspense, mystery, and paranormal -time travel fiction....

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

An odd sort of happiness

I got a promotion yesterday at work. Our company recently implemented a new system of categorizing writers, and I was promoted to the higher level -- and this caused a bit of upset with a couple of my co-workers. I don't want to go into the details in a public forum, but suffice it to say it's made me pause and wonder: "did I deserve it?"

I'm not trying for false modesty here. I honestly was just doing what I felt was the best job I could. In some instances, I went beyond what was normally expected but the opportunity presented itself and I jumped in. Those kinds of opportunities haven't presented themselves to others or they didn't feel as comfortable jumping in. And of course, I had the chance to fail by doing so but I didn't. So far, I'm succeeding.

On the whole, yes, I think I deserved it. I understand why people are peeved (and let me put this in perspective: the majority of my co-workers gave me hearty and sincere congratulations). But it put a bit of a damper on my day -- just a bit. Of course, I still have to meet my deadlines, carry my workload, get the projects done on time. I'm just pausing for one day for a bit of back-patting.

::pat:: ::pat::

Yep. It feels good.

No comments: