Scribbles and thoughts ...

These are ramblings from J L Wilson, published author of romantic suspense, mystery, and paranormal -time travel fiction....

Saturday, September 18, 2010

What is promo, really?

I just read a blog post on a friend's blog. Said friend is also a published author, and I checked her 'followers', and HOLY COW, she's got a couple of hundred blog followers.

Well, foo -- that's great promo for her, right?

Hmm. Wait a minute. Have I ever bought someone's book just because I read an interesting blog post? Uh, no. Nor have I explored a web page unless I found it really attractive -- a plain/Jane page: nope.

So what is promo? Authors are always told to "get their name out there" as though that will magically get us some sales. But does it? I don't think so. I think the "get out there" is to get out there and interact with people, build a sense of who you are on the web, and, yes, get out there and promote the book.

So WHEW. I'm not as worried about those blog stats now.

Not much...

No comments: