Scribbles and thoughts ...

These are ramblings from J L Wilson, published author of romantic suspense, mystery, and paranormal -time travel fiction....

Saturday, September 04, 2010

TBR: pile or list?

I've seen several folks comment about their "TBR" pile: a stack of books, To Be Read, that awaits the reader's free time.

I've started to keep a TBRL: To Be Read List. You see, I don't have time to read. Seriously. I work full-time, I write full-time, and I have a social life. But after seeing my elderly mother and how much she reads, I thought, "You know, I'm going to keep a TBRL so when that day comes that I'm retired and I have time on my hands, I can dig out these books and read them."

It's surprising how fun this list is to keep -- I'm adding books right and left that intrigue me. I won't buy them. I'll probably get them from the library or maybe I'll download a first chapter for my Kindle (will there be Kindles by the time I retire?) I have an assurance that, barring an apocalypse, these books will still be around in some way, shape or form. A few years ago, I couldn't think that way -- I would have had to buy the books.

It's another way the electronic world is freeing me. I anticipate having a LOT of reading to do in the future.

No comments: