Scribbles and thoughts ...

These are ramblings from J L Wilson, published author of romantic suspense, mystery, and paranormal -time travel fiction....

Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Ah, the future. Murky it is...

I've hit a potential detour with one of my publishers that has me in a bit of a quandry.

My mysteries are with Wild Rose Press but the latest books I submitted to my editor -- a 3 book series -- was rejected because it was a series. Apparently TWRP doesn't want to do a series.

This has me flummoxed. I can understand them not wanting to do a series with an unknown author, but I submitted all 3 books (finished), my editor loved them all, and the Senior Editor loved them. It's just that they're not 'quite right' for the publisher.

I view this as a chance for the publisher to branch out, but maybe it's going to be my chance to branch out. Maybe this is the kick in the butt I need to try for a New York contract and 'move on'.

I spoke with the publisher last night and explained that I've enjoyed my tenure with them, but this might mean I can't be with them in the future. I know I've been a good earner for them and I'm not trying to browbeat them into keeping me if it's truly against company policy. But i think they're being short-sighted.

I love reading a series because I invest something in the characters and hate it when a book ends. I want to know 'what happens next'. I don't think I'm the only one.

It'll be interesting to see what shakes out. I'll have some editing to do if they buy the books (nothing earth-shaking, but more than I normally do, I suspect) and if they don't, I'll have to start polishing up my query letters. Either way...

it will be interesting.

No comments: