Scribbles and thoughts ...

These are ramblings from J L Wilson, published author of romantic suspense, mystery, and paranormal -time travel fiction....

Tuesday, September 12, 2006



I've been thinking about Women's Fiction lately. You know what I'm talking about -- books about women, their friends, how they overcome obstacles, the kind of junk that happens to women in their lives.

I used to think I wanted to write Women's Fiction. I don't think I do any more. Why?

Because I've been there.

I was skimming a book that talked about a woman blindsided by a cheating husband.

Hmm. Been there.

I skimmed one about three friends who go off and experience a wild weekend.

Yep. Been there (years ago).

I was skimming one about a woman who was struggling with cancer and other health issues.

Yep. Had a friend who struggled, I can relate to that.

You get the drift. Here's the conclusion I've come to -- I don't want to rehash what's happened in my life. And I'm at a certain age where I've experienced quite a bit (heck, just look at the plots of some of my books).

I want FICTION. I want to relax. I want to smile and relate to characters and just hang out with them. I don't want to re-experience all the angst of my life. That's probably why I like writing paranormals and my 'cozy/sexy mysteries' (I should call those the XYZ mysteries since I manage to work in 3 of the least-used letters in the English language when describing them).

Anyway -- I want FICTION.

Calgon, take me away.






No comments: