Scribbles and thoughts ...

These are ramblings from J L Wilson, published author of romantic suspense, mystery, and paranormal -time travel fiction....

Saturday, December 09, 2006

The ideas are flying out of my brain


I've had a good week -- got a lot accomplished. One more rewrite done and sent off, final edits finished on another book, and I got a great idea on how to rework another one. I'm starting to feel that maybe I'll get the hang of this writing thing sooner rather than later.

I still can't shake the feeling that I need to do more, more, more. I've never been an over-achiever in any other part of my life, so why am I starting now?

Or am I over-achieving or just finally figuring out what I can do and what I'm comfortable doing? I know a lot of folks who AGONIZE over their writing. They pick at every word, they sweat every plot point, they drag themselves to the keyboard and feel as though blood is being pulled out them when they write. Sending a book out for review or submitting it to an agent or editor is traumatic.

I don't agonize at all. I ENJOY this. I look forward to sitting down and wrestling with a plot point. When my editor (I still love saying that: 'my editor') tells me, 'this scene needs work because {insert reason}', I feel a momentary sense of huffiness ("what does she mean, 'it needs work'?") then I look at it, settle down, and figure out a way to fix it.

Should I really be having this much fun?

... pause ...

Hell, yeah. [smiley face here]

No comments: